Coalport Station

The GWR Coalport railway station was originally built as a single through platform railway station on the Severn Valley Line serving the village of Coalport in Shropshire, England. By 1925 an additional platform had been added thus permitting up and down trains to pass along with a third platform face behind the up platform formed an east facing bay. By this time, the goods sidings to the east of the station had been expanded.

Although the bay platform has been filled in, the platform edging bricks remain. The space between the two main platform faces has been only partially filled and the station thus retains much of its former character. What appears to be a more recent extension to the main station building has been completed in a sympathetic manner thus maintaining that character.

The station lies on a dismantled section of the Severn Valley Line north of Bridgnorth and has been sold into private hands as a dwelling. The building is very similar in style to Arley on the Severn Valley Railway and retains many of its original architectural features having been extended in a sympathetic manner.

Two converted British Railways Mark 1 carriages stand on a short length of track between the platforms and are used as holiday accommodation. Although thought by some people to have been closed as part of the Beeching axe in 1963, its planned closure pre-dated his report.

A length of the railway formation immediately to the east is used as a road to the nearby sewage works.


Coalport station July 1963. A general view of the ex-GWR line near Coalport towards Bridgnorth. Signal and a ground signal to the right. An overgrown siding to the left. A timber-on-brick signal box in the background to the left. Photograph: unknown/Kidderminster Railway Museum (KRM ref59729)


Coalport station 18th May 1949. Ex-GWR 4500 class 2-6-2T number 5518 at Coalport station with a Worcester to Shrewsbury three-coach stopping train. Still in GWR livery. A track gang in the foreground, main buildings and a garden to the left. Photograph: P.J. Lynch/Kidderminster Railway Museum (KRM ref 92279)